Home > About Us > Infrastructure


La Martiniere College, Lucknow was established in 1845. In addition to the many facilities that are associated with an old school, the College offers a variety of choices in subjects for study. La Martiniere College is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) and students are prepared to write the Indian School Certificate (Year 10) Examination (ICSE) and the Indian School Certificate (Year 12) Examination (ISC)

There are two academic campuses of La Martiniere College. The Junior School Campus, is made up of three academic blocks which accommodates the pre-school and junior sections. Constantia Campus houses the middle and senior sections as well as the living facilities of the resident-scholars and resident Staff.

Constantia is a heritage building, the construction of which began in 1796. It is not protected by the Archaeological Survey of India, but is listed under INTACH and falls within the Lucknow heritage zone. The Founder is buried in the crypt in the basement. Immediately above the crypt is La Martiniere Memorial Hall. Tablets that bear the names of those former pupils of the College who were killed in battle, including in the two World Wars, surround the bust of the Founder. The contribution of the boys of La Martiniere during the events of 1857 were recognized by the College being presented the Blue and Gold Battle Honours, bearing the legend ‘Defence of Lucknow’. The Colours are now the tinctures of the College Flag.

To the North of the Memorial Hall is the famous Blue Room, a formal reception room of La Martiniere College. A portrait of the Founder dominates this room. A masterpiece by the artist Johann Zoffany with the Founder’s lady companion Boulone and adopted son, James as studies, is a prized possession. Contiguous with the Blue Room is the Board Room, reserved for meetings of the Local Committee of the Board of Governors of the College.

To the South of the Memorial Hall is the Trophy Room, reserved for the display of all awards and presentations to the College. Valuable portraits of Governors-General of the East India Company, when La Martiniere was founded, and Viceroys during the British period in India adorn the walls. A rare oil-painting of the Lucknow Residency is a central image.

East of the Memorial Hall is the College Chapel. The furniture and ornaments are over a century old. Two stained glass windows presented by former pupils of the College depict the child Jesus in the Carpenter’s Shop and the Child Jesus with the doctors of the Law, bringing to mind the values of Work and Wisdom, respectively. The grand pipe organ accompanies the choir, which processes into Chapel every morning in an unchanged tradition.

The Library faces the East Terrace. Each of the plaques on the highly ornamented ceiling were made in accordance with original Wedgewood designs.

The personal apartments of the Principal and Vice-Principal are situated to the extreme North and South of Constantia, respectively.

A grand staircase leads to the East Terrace, an artificial terrace overlooking a lake from the centre of which rises a solid fluted column, approximately 125 feet high. This is called the Lat and its building is the source of much speculation that is now a part of legend. In the Centre of the East Terrace is the imposing cannon, cast by Claude Martin and used in the Battle of Seringapatam, 1792. It is named the Lord Cornwallis in honour of Charles Cornwallis, the 1st Marquess Cornwallis. Two cannons flank The Lord Cornwallis. A special bell, cast by the Founder is placed on a pedestal. East Terrace is a perfect setting for the many formal occasions to be held, including parades and Prize Day. The stones of each step are engraved with the names of pupils through the centuries who have literally left their mark.

The North and South Wings now contiguous with Constantia were constructed according to Claude Martin’s instructions in the 1840s. The North Wing accommodates, on the first floor, the Principal’s Office, the College Offices, the Gymnasium and the Computer Laboratories. The Junior dormitory is an extension to the North Wing. The Junior Houserooms, stores and the Office of the Alumni Association occupy the ground floor.

The South Wing accommodates classrooms on the first floor. A mezzanine has been recently constructed to provide further classrooms. The dormitory for the junior-most resident-scholars is in the extension to the South Wing. The Senior Houserooms, and the Office of the Master on Duty occupy the ground floor of the South Wing.

A modern Information Centre in the south-west parapet, blends with the centuries’ old structure. Modern communication devices are used here as an extension to the College Library.

Constantia, the central mansion, has recently had much conservation and restoration. Funded largely by munificent donations from alumni all over the world, this is an on going process.

Two major Halls flank the west of Constantia. Spence Hall, built by the bequest of Mr A. V. Spence in 1933, accommodates the College auditorium and classrooms. It is among the most frequented and well-loved buildings. On the other side is Sykes Hall, dedicated to the memory of Mr Thomas Gaskell Sykes, who served the College for thirty years as the longest serving Principal. The ground floor is used as the dining hall for the resident-scholars while the science laboratories are on the upper two floors. Beyond Sykes Hall lie the service areas.

The beautiful College gardens provide a perfect frontage to the West entrance of the College. An upper lawn dominates the area, while the tennis lawn and rosarium are on each side of the formal gardens, bright with season flowers.

Other buildings of interest include the Swimming Baths constructed in 1860 and the College Hospital, constructed between 1860-70. The tombs of Boulone also known as Gori Bibi, the Founder’s favourite lady companion and Major Hodson, who raised the eponymous cavalry regiment, lie on La Martiniere estate.

Extensive playfields surround the academic complexes. ‘Fairydale’ is designed for cricket, while ‘Polo Ground’ is now used for football, athletics and the annual Sports Day. There are separate fields for Seniors, Juniors and Colts to practise all games separately on either side of the Lucknow Golf Club, leased by the College. Courts for basketball and badminton and facilities for table tennis and other indoor games are situated around the campus. The Tennis Facility boasts of 12 tennis courts. This is operated, under licence, by the Sports Development Society.

The Junior School Campus is separated from Constantia by the Golf Course. This relatively modern complex is made attractive with gardens and swings in a setting that is open and yet protected for the junior pupils. The facilities of the senior school campus are replicated here to suit the age of the children. Security is focussed upon.

The air-conditioned College canteen is a popular haunt during all free time in the day. Children find their own favourite spots to relax which include the ‘Bull’s Ring’ and ‘Three Corners’ and the four parapets.

The Alumni support La Martiniere College, Lucknow in many of its activities. This reinforces the bonding that former pupils of the College maintain with the generation of boys that is currently studying here.